THE CORE VALUE OF THE MONTH FOR NOVEMBER IS SERVICE
Al Wood is a native of Gray, Georgia, and a 1981 graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Growing up, he quickly became successful in basketball, where he earned All-American status in high school and college. Al went on to set scoring records in the ACC and NCAA, was a member of the 1980 U.S. Men’s Olympic Basketball team, and became the fourth player picked in the first round of the 1981 NBA draft
After the NBA, Al played professional basketball overseas but eventually moved back to the States and traveled around the country as a motivational speaker, trainer and team builder, evangelist, platform guest, sports radio and TV spokesperson, prison minister, and private consultant.
Note From the Infirmary
Breaks are fast approaching and we know the cadets are super excited to get off campus, relax, and have some fun. Please contact the infirmary if your cadet is taking medications or supplements that you would like for us to pack and send home for Open Weekends or holiday breaks.
Parent Council Meeting 11/6/21
Monthly Parent Council Board Meeting – Saturday, November 6, 2021, at 9am.
Join us in person in the English Lounge at Hargrave or via zoom.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 874 5961 9526
Parent Town Hall 11/9/21
As a reminder, a Parent Town Hall meeting will happen Tuesday, November 9, 2021, via Zoom at 7 pm (Eastern).
The Zoom information is as follows:
Meeting ID: 535 316 8182
Middle School CIS Students Visit The Institute for Advanced Learning
The CIS science class took a field trip to the Institute for Advanced Learning in Danville. This is a wonderful facility that directly participates in research in addition to hosting classes for colleges such as Averett and Virginia Tech. Cadets took a tour of their facilities and spent time with their Head of Research and their researchers. They spoke to some of the basic chemistry concepts that the students have been learning and tied them into real-world applications.
One of their facilities was focused on Hydroponics. They have managed many factors (light, temperature, nutrients) and this has led to shorter growing times for vegetables as well as longer shelf life. After the tour, cadets made Ooblek which does not act like traditional states of matter (called a NonNewtonian Fluid). They also made butter and got to enjoy the rewards of their hard work. Most found they enjoyed salted butter more than unsalted!
Upcoming Events & Activities
- Fri – 5 Nov
- Post 2MP grades and comments
- 1830 – Military Mess Night – Guest of Honor – Parker Mills ‘01
- 1900 – PGBB vs Aim High Academy
- Sat – 6 Nov
- 0800 – SAT off-campus
- 1400 – FB @ Catholic (Virginia Beach, VA)
- Sun – 7 Nov
- Daylight Savings Time ends!
- Tues – 9 Nov
- Assembly in lieu of Advisory – Guest Speaker – CDR Cameron Ingram ‘00
- Wed – Nov 10
- 1900 – PGBB vs Flight 22 Prep Academy
- Thurs – Nov 11
- No IIT/SH – Cadets should plan accordingly!
- 1345 – Veterans Day Parade – to include Honor Roll recognition
- 1900 – Fall Sports Awards Ceremony (Chapel)
- Fri – 12 Nov
- 1200 – Virtual Open House
- 1330 – IIT/SH or Inspection (TBD)
- 1900 – PGBB vs Huntington Prep (Charleston, WV)
- 1930 – VBB vs Timberlake Christian (Home) – VBB Tip-Off Showcase
- Sat – 13 Nov
- 1530 – VBB vs Franklin Prep (Home) – VBB Tip-Off Showcase
- Tues – 16 Nov
- 1900 – PGBB vs Ridgeview Prep (Home)
- Wed – 17 Nov
- TBD – Mil time ends early
- TBD – Sports starts and ends early
- 1800 – Advisee DInner (Thanksgiving)
- 3MPi ends
- Thurs – 18 Nov
- 1530 – SWIM Invitational 1
- TBD – WREST @ Virginia Episcopal (Lynchburg, VA)
- Fri – 19 Nov
- 1230 – Begin Thanksgiving Break
- 1330 – PGBB vs Woodstock Academy @ National Prep Showcase (New Haven, CT)
- 3MPi grades posted
- Sat – 20 Nov
- 1030 – PGBB vs Putnam Science Academy @ National Prep Showcase (New Haven, CT)
- Sun – 28 Nov
- 1700 – Cadets return from Thanksgiving break
Follow Hargrave Athletics
As a reminder, please head to hargravesports.com for schedules, results, rosters, and stories. Winter sports rosters will be updated online by early next week. Additionally, please use this link (Athletics 2021-22) which will send you to a YouTube playlist for Hargrave Athletics. This playlist will feature videos from our home athletic contests!
Underclass & Senior Photos
For underclass photos, if families did not pre-order using the flyer or online, they should have received a packet from their cadet during the open weekend. From that proof, there are two specific codes for each student. They go to mylifetouch.com and enter the two unique codes and then they will see their photo.
For seniors, ordering and next step information will be mailed directly home to parents/seniors along with proofs of pictures. They have a different website to go to prestigeportraits.com to claim their proofs using a unique code. Once they’ve successfully done that, they can then place an order online at any time or by calling the 800 number that comes in the literature.
If you have questions, please contact [email protected]