HMA Lacrosse vs. Steward School

Matt Brawn

The Tigers kicked off the 2017 Lacrosse season yesterday with a trip to Richmond to take on the Steward School Spartans in a VISAA match-up. Both teams entered the game with 0-0 records and a strong passion to what has grown into a healthy and fun rivalry game between the two schools.

Steward jumped out to an early lead only 0:45 seconds into the contest after capitalizing on a Tigers mis-que off the opening face-off. The lead would not last long as junior Nick Duran would get the score tied at 1-1 on a set up pass from Junior Captain Connor Rogers. The two teams traded possessions throughout the first quarter of play with both defensive units playing very well. At the conclusion of the first quarter the score remained 1-1.

The Spartans and the Tigers traded scoring opportunities for much of the second quarter of play before the Tigers broke free. Sophomore Nicholas Thompson got his first goal of the day from a set up pass from senior attacker Charles Lee. The Tigers added to their point tally with back-to-back goals from junior Connor Rogers with assist credits going to seniors Raines Wall and Charles Lee. Sophomore Nicholas Thompson recorded his second goal of the day as he connected with senior attackmen Charles Lee and senior midfielder Trey Barnes. The Tigers would hit one last time before the end of the first half with a goal from junior attackman Nick Duran  with junior Connor Rogers and senior goaltender Jacob Hornberger getting credits for the assist. At the end of the first half of play the Hargrave Tigers held a 6-4 lead over the Spartans of Steward School.

As the third quarter of play opened, the Tigers showed their field dominance as they dictated the pace of play and control of the ball leading to a 4-0 scoring frenzy for the Tigers. Nicholas Thompson and Connor Rogers both recorded their third goals of the game and Raines Wall added his second goal of the day. Rogers and Thompson received assist credits as well during the scoring frenzy giving the Tigers a 10-4 lead at the conclusion of the third quarter.

The Spartans would add one more goal to their side of the scoreboard in the final stanza of play. With the game in hand, the Tigers stayed disciplined, focused, and in control allowing for several bench players to see some game time experience as time ran down.  

The Varsity Lacrosse Team will take to the field next Tuesday to host the Raiders of North Cross in VIC action. Face-off is set for 4:30.