Varsity Soccer vs. Chatham HS

Hargrave 3 – Chatham 1

The Tigers Soccer Team came away with a well-earned win on Thursday as they defeated Chatham HS by a score of 3-1.

Senior Captain Nick Barr continued his goal scoring streak, with 10 goals in the Tiger’s last six games, as he netted the Tiger’s first of the match with a penalty kick in the sixth minute. The Tigers would outshoot their opponent 11-4 during the first half of play, but the scoreline would remain 1-0 going into the half-time break.

Into the second half the Tigers created several more good opportunities, but were unable to capitalize due to several shots hit directly at the Chatham keeper, and a near miss off the post by junior Austin Koeneman midway through the half. Chatham would threaten with a few missed opportunities of their own, and four saves from Tiger goalkeeper Nathan Bloom. Yet, with 11 minutes to play the away side would grab one back after an ensuing throw-in from deep within the Tiger’s defensive third that found its way directly in front of their goal to an unmarked Tyler Shields for the goal. Though, despite giving up the late goal, and Tiger’s first allowed goal of the season, the home side responded superbly under the late pressure from the Chatham tying goal. With the remaining ten minutes to play the Tigers continued to move the ball confidently setting up several more opportunities. Junior defensive midfielder Alec Field took advantage of one such late opportunity as he scored the go-ahead goal for the Tigers, and the eventual game-winner, just three minutes following the Chatham equalizer. The Field goal from a shot just outside the 18 yard box into the the right netting gave the Chatham goalkeeper no opportunity to make the save, and gave the Tigers back the lead. With just over two minutes to play the Tigers would get their third from senior Tony Cain after a defensive turnover from the away side. The Cain goal would cap off the 3-1 win for the Tigers.

Hargrave Military Academy logo.