Hargrave Summer Experience Enrollment Closing July 3. Secure Your Spot Today!

Varsity Soccer vs. Westover Christian Academy

Hargrave 4 -Westover 1

The Hargrave Varsity Soccer Team improved to 8-0 on the season with a victory over Westover Christian, on Tuesday, 4-1.

The Tigers, once again, were able to maintain the majority of the possession of the ball throughout the contest, and consistently move the ball around the field to create numerous scoring opportunities in front of their opponent’s goal.

Right away the Tigers came out with a goal less than three minutes into the contest. Senior Forward Philippe Armand (1G, 1A) tallied the goal for the Tigers with a beautifully headed ball into the corner of the goal over the outstretched hands of the opposing goalkeeper. The goal was started from a throw-in from Junior Captain Josh Splinter (1G, 1A) who threw the ball down into the opposing teams corner, and into the path of Midfielder Nathan LeNoir (2A). LeNoir pushed the ball forward, and then immediately sent the cross in where it was met by Armand for the header into the back of the net.

The Tigers would make it 2-0 with just under 12 minutes remaining in the first half with a goal from Forward Patrick Galindo (1G, 1A). Once again, the Tigers worked the ball down the right side of the field after an intercepted pass by Midfielder Scott Dinius (1A) who then sent the through ball in towards the corner. The pass was received by Nathan LeNoir who drove the ball in towards the goal, but passed the ball back to Galindo, waiting on the six yard line, who barried the ball with ease into the back of the net.

Goalkeeper Geof Frazier put forth a superb effort in the goal for the Tigers making five saves, including saves on two well taken scoring opportunities in front of the Tiger’s goal mouth.

Entering the second half the Tigers would once again get off to a quick start with a goal in less than two minutes in from Senior Captain Cody Cameron (1G). Patrick Galindo was credited with the assist with a crossed ball in towards the opponent’s back post. Cameron handled the bouncing ball with ease hitting a powerful first time strike in past the keeper to give the Tigers the 3-0 lead.

Ten minutes later the Tigers would make it a 4-0 game with a goal from Josh Splinter. The assist was credited to Philippe Armand when he held control of the ball just in front of the opponent’s 18 yard box, and then passed the ball off to Splinter who found himself making an open run down the right side. With an incredible first time strike just outside the 18 yard box Splinter nailed a bullet past the opposing goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

With 17 minutes remaining in the game the Tigers would be denied their sixth straight shut-out after a questionable penalty call inside their own box. The ensuing penalty kick would bring the score to 4-1. The goal would only be Westover’s second shot in the entire second half. Goalkeeper Nathan Bloom saw second half action in the net for the Tigers, and was only forced to make one save.

The Tigers would finish out the match with the 4-1 victory despite being denied by the post on two other occasions. The Tigers outshot their opponent 16-6.

Hargrave Soccer will return to action on Thursday, October 6 when they travel to take on Liberty Christian. Game time is slotted for 4:00.

Hargrave Military Academy logo.