Fall 2005 PG Football vs. #3 Virginia Tech

Hokies’ JV edges Hargrave, 17-16
Dunlevy hits 51-yard game-winner for Tech

October 28, 2005

BLACKSBURG, Va. – Jud Dunlevy’s 51-yard field goal with no time left on the clock gave the Virginia Tech junior varsity football team a dramatic 17-16 triumph over Hargrave Military Academy Friday afternoon at Lane Stadium.

A third year player for Frank Beamer, Dunlevy’s kick, which was set up by an encroachment penalty on the defense the play before, split the uprights from the near hash-mark, 51-yards away. To put the kick into prospective, there are only nine kickers in the National Football League (NFL) who have hit a field goal from beyond 51-yards. Dunlevy also handles some kick off duties for the Hokies varsity.

Virginia Tech took an early 7-0 lead when Sophomore fullback Billy Gorham took it in off of the left side early in the first quarter. The Hargrave offense would answer. Running back Keiland Williams ripped off runs of 15 and 11 yards on the opening drive for the Tigers. He would finally score from 8-yards out to tie the game at 7-7 in the first quarter.

After forcing a three-and-out on the next series, Hargrave took the lead when Khalil Conteh blocked a punt at the Tech 17 and Darrius Massenburg returned it for a touchdown. Hargrave missed the extra point, but still held a 13-7 lead in the second quarter.

The score would remain at 13-7 going into the half, but the Hokies would bounce back in the second half. Virginia Tech took the lead when third-year quarterback Grant Throckmorton found former all state wide receiver Jeremy Gilchrist streaking down the right sideline for a 52-yard touchdown and a 14-13 lead. Gilchrist, who is still second all time in the state of Virginia in receptions and receiving yards, has played in eight games for the third ranked Hokies this year.

The Tigers used a two quarterback rotation throughout the duration of the game. Jarrett Dunston and Tim Jones alternated series on offense, combining to go 9-for-14 for 141 yards on the day. The biggest play of the day for Hargrave came when tight end Cody Slate got behind the Tech coverage and scampered 61-yards to set up another scoring drive.

Late in the fourth quarter the Tigers went back on top when Merf Trout connected on a 23-yard field goal to put Hargrave up 16-14. The lead looked like it would hold up when the Hargrave defense held the Hokies to a long field goal attempt with just two minutes remaining in the game. The kick sailed wide right giving the Hargrave offense the ball back deep in their own territory.

Hargrave used every second they could and with nine seconds remaining punted the ball back to Virginia Tech. With four seconds remaining Tech attempted a Hail Mary attempt, but the ball fell incomplete and the game appeared to be over giving Hargrave the victory, but a flag for off sides gave the Hokies one last play with the game clock showing 0:00. This time Dunlevy would connect on the field goal that would fly half the length of a football field to put Virginia Tech up 17-16 and giving them the victory.

Hargrave will be back in action next Friday when it travels to Fork Union, VA to face arch rival Fork Union Military Academy. Game time is slated for 1300, otherwise known as 1:00 PM for the civilians. Hargrave defeated Fork Union last year 35-21 in Chatham.

***this article was written with help from Hokiesports.com***

Hargrave Military Academy logo.