The Hargrave Aquatics Swim Club (AKA HAVA – Hargrave Aquatics Virginia) is a USA Swimming–sanctioned community co-ed youth swimming club that was founded in 2021 by three USA Swimming–qualified coaches. It is available to all swimmers under 18 years of age. We are a club that focuses on providing a fun and all-inclusive environment, allowing our youth to reach their full character potential. Swimmers learn life-long skills, including self-motivation, accountability, time management, mental fortitude, humility, and improving their work ethic. Additionally, they are being taught how to remain physically active through a low-impact activity. “Swimming helps every other sport but nothing helps swimming!”
To join HAVA:
- Contact the Head Coach to set up a date and time to attempt the HAVA Swim Level Test;
- Upon successful completion of the HAVA Swim Level Test, an email will be sent from the club’s TeamUnify website to set up a new account (email will be taken from the Membership Form);
- Complete the TeamUnify account requirements (medical history; full contact information including SMS and carrier; set up billing; and electronically sign the agreements).
- Upon successful TeamUnify account set up an email will be sent from USA Swimming to pay for the annual membership (must be completed within 30 days of joining HAVA).
Fees and Equipment
Starting August 1, 2022, all annual USA Swimming registration fees will be paid directly to USA Swimming. This fee covers the swimmer’s insurance and access to USA Swimming sanctioned swim meets. The annual membership runs September 1 – August 31.
There are three registration fee options:
- Premium Membership:
- Includes annual registration and unlimited access to all USA Swimming sanctioned swim meets and Championship meets.
- Flex Membership:
- Includes annual registration and a maximum of two USA Swimming sanctioned swimming meets per year (but no Championship meets).
- The swimmer has the opportunity to upgrade to the Premium Membership at any time.
- The Flex Membership is for swimmers under the age of 12 years old.
- Seasonal Membership:
- For high school athletes over 13 years old during the school competitive season.
- For a maximum of 150 days.
HAVA Team Fees
- $100 per swimmer
- This includes:
- 1 Silicone Club Cap (white – beginner level; orange – intermediate level; black – advanced level)
- 1 Club T-Shirt (colors and style will vary)
- Access to our official TeamUnify website
Monthly Training Fees
|Beginner (4 days a week)||$80.00|
|Beginner (2 days a week)||$40.00|
|Intermediate (4 days a week)||$90.00|
|Intermediate (2 days a week)||$45.00|
|Advanced (4 days a week)||$100.00|
- $10 discount per month for each additional 4-day swimmer, or $5 discount per month for each additional 2-day swimmer, from the same household.
Cost Breakdown Per Month
|First Month||Team Registration Fee + USA Swimming Registration Fee + First Month’s Swim Fees|
|Following Months||Monthly Swim Fees|
- Team Registration Fee must be paid at the ODAC (either cash or check – made payable to Hargrave Aquatics Swim Club)
- Monthly Swim Fees must be paid through the TeamUnify website. There is a 2.95% + $0.30 transaction fee per transaction.
This is a club website which will allow special access to all parents. You will be able to access the meet schedule, pay monthly fees and swim meet fees, see your swimmer’s best times, and register for swimming meets.
- Practice: The swimmer may wear any suit while at practice.
- Swimming Meets: Swimmers have different preferences when it comes to swimming suits. There will be a couple of different options available in the club store so the swimmer can pick whichever they prefer for swimming meets.
Swim Club Equipment List
Hargrave Aquatics has a club store on swimoutlet.com. There are recommendations for equipment needed listed. You may purchase alternative equipment from the store. By logging into the Hargrave Aquatics store, the club receives a percentage of your total cost which goes back into the club.
- Goggles (required)
- Water Bottle (required)
- Mesh Bag
- Pull Buoy
- Hand Paddles
|Beginners (2 days a week)||5:30-6:30 pm||–||5:30-6:30 pm||–|
|Beginners (4 days a week)||5:30-6:30 pm||5:30-6:30 pm||5:30-6:30 pm||5:30-6:30 pm|
|Intermediate (any 2 days a week)||5:30-7:00 pm||5:30-7:00 pm||5:30-7:00 pm||5:30-7:00 pm|
|Intermediate||5:30-7:00 pm||5:30-7:00 pm||5:30-7:00 pm||5:30-7:00 pm|
|Advanced||5:30-7:30 pm||5:30-7:30 pm||5:30-7:30 pm||5:30-7:30 pm|
|Bridge Program||++++||5:30-6:30 pm||++++||–|
- ++++ Can join either the Monday or Thursday Class
- Intermediate and Advanced Groups — Monday and Thursday 5:30 – 6:15 pm will consist of strength training in the weight room
- The first 10 minutes of each class will consist of static and dynamic stretching as well as a comprehensive bodyweight flexible squat program
HAVA Swim Level Test
To join HAVA, the swimmer must be able to swim 25 yards on their front and 25 yards on their back unassisted and without touching the lane lines; tread water for 30 seconds; and jump into 16 feet of water, resurface and swim back to the edge of the pool.
The HAVA Swim Level Test for new club swimmers will occur during the normal swim club training session. Please contact the Aquatics Director to set up an appointment.
Swim Club Bridge Program
The ODAC offers swimmers who are almost ready to join the club the opportunity to participate in our Bridge Program. The program is designed for swimmers who may be anxious or uncertain about joining the swim club; who lack the endurance and stamina to swim across the pool; or those who require some additional technical training. A great introduction as your child moves up to the next level.
- The Bridge Program is four (4) weeks long. There will be two (2) x one (1) hour lessons per week.
- Group Lessons: Tuesdays, 5:30 – 6:30 pm. The instructor will be in the water with the swimmer(s) focusing on technique and endurance.
- Club Lessons: Mondays and Thursdays, 5:30 – 6:30 pm. The instructor will be on the deck coaching. The swimmer will put into practice what they learned on Tuesday in a club environment. They will also learn swimming terminology, swim lane etiquette, timing, social skills, swimming in a group, and more.
- Start Date: Every Tuesday throughout the year
- Fee: $50 (for the four weeks)
- To join the Bridge Program: the swimmer must be able to float on their back for 30 seconds; swim 15 yards alternating being able to roll from their front-to-back and back-to-front without assistance; comfortable putting their whole head underwater; and able to jump from the edge of the pool into water greater than 10 feet deep.
HAVA Swim Meets and Socials
- It is not required for swimmers to compete in swimming meets. But it is an excellent way for the swimmer to see their improvements and start setting goals for future events. Plus it builds team spirit and camaraderie.
- There will be an opportunity for a swim meet every 4-6 weeks. We try to keep the travel time down and we strive to stay within 2 hours of traveling distance from Hargrave.
- Most swim meets will be one-day swim meets. However, Championship meets will last all weekend and will require accommodation.
- A Hargrave 14-seater passenger van is available for club use.
- At least once per month, there will be a HAVA social event. It will alternate between using Hargrave’s campus for activities and going out within the community to participate as a group.
- Events include: archery; lake swimming; Thanksgiving Potluck; community service projects; mock swim meets; private movie screenings; ice cream socials; trunk or treat; mini golf; scavenger hunt; and more!
- Payment and confirmation are required 72 hours before the event takes place.
Swim clinics will return in the spring. Stay tuned for future dates!
Hargrave Aquatics Immediate Family ODAC Membership Special
While your child(ren) is swimming, why not swim some laps yourself, or participate in a class? Immediate family (parents/guardians/siblings from the same household) will receive 50% of either a monthly pass or a 10-use punch card while your child(ren) is a member of the Hargrave Aquatics Swim Club.
Required paperwork for the swim club:
- Hargrave Aquatics Swim Club Code of Conduct Form
- Athlete Registration Application
- Transfer Request Form (if moving from another swimming club)
- Membership Form (1 per family, including spectators)
- COVID-19 Liability Release and Indemnification Form (1 per family)